Turlock Mosquito Abatement District Twitter Twitter
Turlock Mosquito Abatement District District History

District History


Old TMAD Office

The Turlock Mosquito Abatement District was formed on January 28, 1946, to protect the health of residents from the transmission of mosquito borne viruses and provide relief from the nuisance of mosquitoes. Originally, the District was established to control mosquitoes within a 342-square mile area; however, over time the area of service expanded to include all of Southern Stanislaus County (south of the Tuolumne River) which covers 966-square miles. The District provides service to cities such as Ceres, Hughson, Grayson, Newman, Patterson and Turlock. The District also serves the unincorporated areas within the southern portion of the county.

The District was organized as a mosquito abatement district under Chapter 1, Division 3 of the Health and Safety Code (commencing with Section 2000). Under the code, the District has the authority to conduct effective programs for the surveillance, prevention, abatement, and control of mosquitoes.

The District may:

  • Conduct surveillance programs and other appropriate studies of mosquito and mosquito borne diseases.
  • Take any and all necessary or proper actions to prevent the occurrence of mosquito and mosquito borne diseases.
  • Take any and all necessary actions to abate or control mosquito and mosquito borne diseases.
  • The District may also levy special benefit assessments to raise revenues if there are inadequate revenues to meet the costs of providing facilities, programs, projects, and services (including vector control projects or programs).

Contact Us

4412 N. Washington Rd
Turlock, CA 95380
Phone: (209) 634-1234
Email: Turlock Mosquito Control

Red Phone